Immigration 2019-01-23T11:27:27+01:00

Business Immigration Solicitors

We are a specialist employment law and business immigration legal practice. Our business immigration services are limited to applications for a permanent residence card, naturalisation as a British Citizen and, once the Home Office launches the application process, applications for “settled status” or “pre-settled status” by EU and EEA nationals.

Business Immigration and EU & EEA Nationals

Until Brexit is implemented, nationals of the European Union and the outside states that form the European Economic Area, Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway and Switzerland, can continue to work, study, carry out business or invest in the UK under EU Treaty rights.

Latest Government guidance on Brexit (19 November 2018) is that:

  • “People who, by 31 December 2020, have been continuously and lawfully living here for 5 years will be able to apply to stay indefinitely by getting ‘settled status’. That means they will be free to live here, have access to public funds and services and go on to apply for British citizenship.
  • People who arrive by 31 December 2020, but won’t have been living here lawfully for 5 years when we leave the EU, will be able to apply to stay until they have reached the 5-year threshold.
  • EU citizens and their family members in the UK will need to apply to get their status document. the Government guidance is:
    • “If you’re a European Union (EU) citizen, you and your family will be able to apply to get either settled or pre-settled status. This will mean you can continue living in the UK after 31 December 2020.”
    • “The EU Settlement Scheme will open fully by 30 March 2019. The deadline for applying will be 30 June 2021. You may be able to apply after this date if you’re joining a family member with settled or pre-settled status in the UK.”

On 21 January 2019, the Government announced that it would not charge applicants to apply for settled status.

As a specialist employment law and business immigration legal practice, Remedy Solicitors can advise and assist you with your application for a permanent residence card and naturalisation (British citizenship) application.

If you are an employer and want to know how you could help your EU/EEA employees with residence applications or other immigration application give us a call to discuss how we could help.

Fines and Criminal offence for employing illegal migrants

Employers must check that the individuals they employ have the right to work in the UK.  Failure to carry out the checks can lead to liability for fines up to £20,000 and as well as criminal sanctions, including prison sentences.