EU/EEA Nationals 2018-05-21T10:34:58+01:00

EU and EEA Nationals and Brexit

EU and EEA Nationals and Permanent Residence and “settled status”

Until Brexit is implemented nationals of the European Union and the other states that make up the European Economic Area (i.e Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway and Switzerland) can continue to work, study, carry out business or invest in the UK under existing EU Treaty rights.

The latest news on the Brexit transitional arrangements, as published on Government websites (14 May 2018) is:

  • “People who, by 31 December 2020, have been continuously and lawfully living here for 5 years will be able to apply to stay indefinitely by getting ‘settled status’. That means they will be free to live here, have access to public funds and services and go on to apply for British citizenship.
  • People who arrive by 31 December 2020, but won’t have been living here lawfully for 5 years when we leave the EU, will be able to apply to stay until they have reached the 5-year threshold.
  • EU citizens and their family members in the UK will need to apply to get their status document. Getting this status will prove (for example, to employers or public service providers) that they have permission to continue living and working here in future. The application fee will be no more than the cost charged to British citizens for a UK passport. If you already have a valid permanent residence document, it will be free.”

The current fee for an adult passport is £75.50 if you apply online, or £85.00 for a paper application.

We can help you with your application for permanent residence

As a specialist employment law and business immigration legal practice, Remedy Solicitors can advise and assist you with your application for a permanent residence card and naturalisation (British citizenship) application.

You can apply for a permanent residence card after you have lived in the UK for five years. We can help you understand the evidence requirements and the application. After you have lived in the UK for six years you can apply for naturalisation and a UK Passport. We can advise and assist you with this process.

If you are an employer and want to know how you could help your EU/EEA employees with residence applications or other immigration application give us a call to discuss how we could help.